Session: 11 Personality Disorders
Cluster A: Odd or eccentric – Paranoid, Schizoid, Schizotypal
- Paranoid – distrusting to the people around them
- Schizoid – detachment from relationships
- Schizotypal – Deficits in social and personal skills as well cognitive distortions and eccentricities.
Cluster B: Dramatic or erratic – Antisocial, borderline, Histrionic,
- Borderline personality disorder – can have self injurious behaviors, lack of sense of self, emotionally unstable.
- Narcissistic personality disorder: (Bernie Madoff) wants to be seen as a hero for people.
- Histrionic personality disorder: needs to be in the center of attention, (housewives series on bravo)
- Antisocial – Ted Bundy, criminal lack of remorse or regard, and can be charming.
Cluster C: Anxious or fearful – Avoidant, Dependent, Obsessive compulsive
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Dependent personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder – different than OCD, rigidity to routine to the extreme.
Somatic and fictitious symptom disorder
Disorders with a base in anxiety that present as real disease processes.
Illness anxiety disorder – always think there is some thing else. Have a lot of tests do to rule out causes but they always think there is something else
Conversion disorder – neurological disorders that results in a deficit of motor or sensory function.
- pseudo seizures , paralysis, blindness, paresthesias, loss of sensation.
Factitious Disorders (formerly munchausen’s disorder)
- Faking symptoms or inflict injury to self for secondary gain.
- They want to be in the role of a sick person
- About 1% of the population
- This disorder “imposed on another” – giving their child a disease to have the child in the role of the sick person.
- Malingering – is to fake an illness for a gain of some sort, personal or otherwise